Sunday, July 18, 2010

My Promise to Pay it forward because I can

Ok a lot has happened since my last blog. But one thing comes to my mind and that's PAY IT FORWARD. Over the Christmas holidays after being diagnosed with ALS - John and I received a gift to go to Maui HI. This is something I have always wanted to do and was on my Bucket list. I had a very hard time wanting to accept this gift (lets face it, it's a very generous gift) especially from a person I met just last summer (who is an ANGEL to my family and even more so to me). So with agreeing to accept this gift I made the promise to pay it forward (by the way...This trip was a dream come true). But how could I pay it forward? I'm not rich financially, so what could I do to pay it forward? With ALS not being able to speak is one of the effects this disease causes to many who are suffering. I thought I could use my voice to speak for those who can't. So I have kept my promise to pay it forward. I went to Washington D.C. and was able to meet and speak to many people. Since this promise I have done speaking engagements and have been trying to keep positive. Having ALS is not fun and at times this disease is very painful physically and emotionally. But what gets me through the day... is the many others who are much worse than me and they are keeping strong. I have an amazing family that supports me so why cry. This disease has taken much from me but it also makes me appreciate what I have even more and it makes me want to pay it forward. That is why I continue to do what I promised. So while you read this think of what you can do to pay it forward. It can be as simple as smiling, you never know what others are going through. You could just be that person that makes a person smile,laugh or even better want to live. I have had many great things come my way and in return I promise to continue to do what I am doing without expecting anything in return and I hope that others will follow.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for speaking for people like me who can't. I have Bulbar onset als, so eating and talking are difficult. But I'm walking this fall in the oregon als walk to D'feet als. Love and prayers, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I went to Maui a few days after I was officially dx'd. It was not planned that way but it was a God send. We we're able to forget for a while and relax. I loved it over there!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete